Gear selector mechanisms...

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
railfancwb

For the manual transmission Vespa, which design is the better for replacements?

My 1980 P200e has the lower design, but I have to replace it because the rear adjustment screw threads are stripped.

Thus the question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

If the original has lasted 37 years it can't be that bad I would go for original

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Ginch
Main scooter: Vespa 150 Super

Pretty sure the top one is up to the P, the bottom one P onwards.
gaz_powell

Definitely pre p range top and p range bottom but there are two types of selector for px early g/b and EFL type.
The selector is the same it's the internals that differ. So make sure you get the correct one
railfancwb

Turned out the threads in the casting were not stripped, which I learned after taking the old one off. So I put a new threaded adjuster into the casting and reinstalled it.

Thinking the top design would be much easier to install when adjusting the cables, as it seems to be a straight pull for the initial tightening.

One of the cables - the one at the bottom rear of the disk on the twist grip - came out during this process. So I removed the top covering of the handlebar and got the cable back in place.

The transmission doesn't want to be shifted, so the final adjustments have yet to be made. Next will jack up the rear of the scooter until the wheel is not touching ground and try spinning it by hand and if necessary start the engine.

I am developing a premonition that the cruciform is banged up which could mean splitting the case. As I told my son, I've done this stuff before - almost sixty years ago.

I do have something else to ride in the meantime - a Suzuki GS450L circa 1988.

railfancwb

Rather than the cruciform being banged up, I'm wondering now if I managed to get the pivot on the arm - which is supposed to go in the grove - outside the end instead. This is in area 3 on the diagram.

Has this happened to anyone?

railfancwb

Taped the clutch lever down to the shift grip so the transmission could free wheel. Jacked up the rear to get the tire off the ground. Spinning the wheel by hand I could shift up and down through the gears. Thus it appears that the cables are correctly adjusted and the selector assembly correctly remounted. Can put it all back together and see how it runs.

But first... Trying to figure out the modified wiring in the headset to see if I can get the high beam and flasher indicators working.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information