MB gear selector spring

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lifes a drag

Ian Hepworth wrote:From Mark:

Lets put it this way, I could, if I really wanted, go from 1st to 4th or 5th in one go on my engines and both are fitted with a MB selector spring. I can also pull my clutch levers in with one finger if I want.
We had one racer bring his newly built custom looking race bike for dynoing, after 5 attempts to find 3rd gear and a chipped 2nd gear, we routed his nylon cables whilst he watched how to do it correctly, then suddenly we could dyno all day long and find the gear we wanted!

I suggest you all go back to basics and learn to set cables and linkages up correctly instead of blaming a £1.80 spring of which will stop kangaroo jumping gears even on worn gears! Certainly cheaper than a new gearbox!
i bought the nylon lined cables from MB and routed them correctly as the bike was being built from scratch ,
after my newly built engine " by ralph saxelby " starten to jump out of gear i fited an uprated spring from MB ,
as i seid before me and my mate could hardley change gear ,, so fitted a normal one ,, the gears were fine after that
the cables didnt magicaly re rout themselves so how do you explain them being too stiff with the MB spring ?
im not knocking MB parts as i swear by them but dont tell me that the spring dosnt make it harder to change gear ,
and dont tell me i need to learn how to set gears up ,
thats the last i will say on this as i cant be arsed arguing with you over it ,,,,, end of
mark

all i said was
mark Post subject: Re: MB gear selector springPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 pm

:o :shock: :P :P :lol:
lifes a drag

mark wrote:all i said was
mark Post subject: Re: MB gear selector springPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 pm

:o :shock: :P :P :lol:
sorry mark it was meant for Ian Hepworth ,,,
trying to tell us all we need to learn how to set up gears ,,,
RICSPEED

les perry wrote:Image

how about this
miserable photobucket :(
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

There's some confusion here between uprated springs and MB uprated springs some springs on the market are too strong and will cause you wrist ache and difficulty in changing gear unless you are a gorilla. The MB items do feel stiffer but not unduly so. As Sean said they will loosen with time and be ok.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Special X wrote:There's some confusion here between uprated springs and MB uprated springs some springs on the market are too strong and will cause you wrist ache and difficulty in changing gear unless you are a gorilla. The MB items do feel stiffer but not unduly so. As Sean said they will loosen with time and be ok.

Fitted some last year and on first fitting the clutch was very tight..BUT within a few miles became very easy to use..Now with the upgrade of new crown wheel and scooterloopy bush should be effortless.. :geek: also have MB nylon cables routed allar stickys book.. ;)
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Special X wrote:There's some confusion here between uprated springs and MB uprated springs some springs on the market are too strong and will cause you wrist ache and difficulty in changing gear unless you are a gorilla. The MB items do feel stiffer but not unduly so. As Sean said they will loosen with time and be ok.
True.

The TS1 donor engine i used as my basis for the group 6 race scoot had a standard gear selector spring in the layshaft, which was fine when the engine was under 20bhp on the road as an everyday hack....but when we did my Cadwell tune and put it in the race frame it was 24bhp, and started to jump out of second under hard acceleration. Once we went over 27bhp for 2009 season it started jumping all the time and was finding false neutrals in 3rd......i stripped and switched to an MB spring......gearchanges were fine at 3 sister, and no jumping at 30bhp and 22ft-lbs..........(but unfortunately uprated gear springs dont stop you crashing.....does MB do a part for that?) :lol:

Not sure what other brands are like, and if they cause problems....but my scoot had gearjumping problems until the upgrade....
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
giankx

Finally i've fitted one of MB uprated spring.
I have the nylon lined cables and my friend who is going to build the enginefor me told that he hasn't found them too stiff!
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Any more recent experience of these springs please?

I have just started developing an issue with an engine jumping out of gear in 4th and not especially when under load. I have just started systematically going all possibilities but it is very easy, almost too easy, to change gear.
coaster

storkfoot wrote:Any more recent experience of these springs please?

I have just started developing an issue with an engine jumping out of gear in 4th and not especially when under load. I have just started systematically going all possibilities but it is very easy, almost too easy, to change gear.
You won't be needing 4th when we're climbing the Stelvio Pass.....might come in handy on the motorways though ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information