How much slop is acceptable in the gear selector?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Davidsquaredson
Main scooter: Early Eibar Jet 200

Drives and shifts fine. My cables are good. But I can move the arm 4mm with my hand and not shift a gear. Doesn't matter N or any other gear. Is this caused by the guide pins on the gear selector wish bone being worn? At what point does it become a problem I need to sort?

I ask as I'm prepping for a ride of 1,000 kms over a weekend.

Tx
DavidImage

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
Davidsquaredson

Davidsquaredson wrote:Drives and shifts fine. My cables are good. But I can move the arm 4mm with my hand and not shift a gear. Doesn't matter N or any other gear. Is this caused by the guide pins on the gear selector wish bone being worn? At what point does it become a problem I need to sort?

Tx
DavidImage

Update. The pivot point is solid. The slop is going from the gear selector arm. If I follow it back, there is an arm off it at 90 degrees, and then it goes down into the case. The gear selector arm. This moves up and down about 4mm. It was very oily there. I'm wondering if the seal has dried out, also, can I replace that seal from the outside? Pick it out and roll a brew one down over the spline?Image

carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
Davidsquaredson

Davidsquaredson wrote:Drives and shifts fine. My cables are good. But I can move the arm 4mm with my hand and not shift a gear. Doesn't matter N or any other gear. Is this caused by the guide pins on the gear selector wish bone being worn? At what point does it become a problem I need to sort?

Tx
DavidImage

Update. The pivot point is solid. The slop is going from the gear selector arm. If I follow it back, there is an arm off it at 90 degrees, and then it goes down into the case. The gear selector arm. This moves up and down about 4mm. It was very oily there. I'm wondering if the seal has dried out, also, can I replace that seal from the outside? Pick it out and roll a brew one down over the spline?Image

carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Your lucky it's li gear change take off rear wheel undo gear selector nut and prize it up out of way you can then get to seal and replace just check that you can't move the rod up and down as that would mean the nut is loose on the wishbone

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

you have probably got a worn stirrup and the pins that go through it as well, i have also seen the hole at the bottom of the selector arm wear into an oval shape, and the main bush can wear as well, replacing all these parts will reduce the slop down to a minimum level.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Davidsquaredson wrote:

Tx
DavidImage

In the second photo it shows the gear selector arm,that is splined and it fits on top of the gear selector shaft which also has splines.The gear selector arm has a pinchbolt and when tightened the splines are pulled together and their should be no play,if their is play then the splines may be worn.
Davidsquaredson

Hub off so i can actually measure the play. It's less than 2 mm. What's acceptable? There is a flat washer that is loose on top and below that I can see an o-ring. Should that washer be loose or is there a clip missing?

Tx
DavidImage

carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Just prise tha arm off replace seal washer and tap the arm down comfy tight refit bolt

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

replacing the washer and o-ring will not remove any of the slop in your gearchange, sadly you will need to remove your gearbox and investigate a the mechanism inside to see what parts are worn.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

The shaft is fitted into a bush that fits inside the case,if this bush is worn at all then the shaft will have side to side play.If you dont already have one,it is best that you have a good workshop manual.In my opinion the best workshop manual is "The complete spanners manual" by Martin "Sticky" Round,in that it shows in great detail the shaft and bush and tells you how to replace them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information