Gp third gear

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dazblakey

Hi all
My gp sounds like it's missing in third I am presuming it's lost a tooth it's only in third never messed with the gear before got stickies book some going to have a bash,not opened up the casing yet but seen on the net could be 38 or 39 teeth, what happens if it's a 38 and you put a 39 in, and is there anything else to look out for
Cheers daz
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

hi daz if its a38 or 39 you replace with the same so it marrys up with the teeth on the christmas tree it could be a tooth but i would have thought you would here some rattling it could be just worn teeth change the spring in the layshaft the one in the centre with the two ball bearings
dazblakey

Hi gaz cheers for the advice mate, I suppose I'll soon see when I strip it down
dazblakey

Definitely missing tooth
garry inglis

ooops better go to the dentist lol have you found the bit thats broken off and check the teeth on the tree
dazblakey

garry inglis wrote:ooops better go to the dentist lol have you found the bit thats broken off and check the teeth on the tree
Yes gaz found it, the tree looks fine but the needle bearings on the bottom of the tree fell to bits, I take it that's not normal
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

it could have been worse, if your cluster is undamaged just replace the damaged gear and you should be fine, make sure you get the broken part out, maybe the bearing fell to bits and thats what broke the gear? just recheck the clearance between the endplate and the shim when you have it bolted back together, sometimes you might have to re- shim the box, depending on the width of the new gear.
dazblakey

holty wrote:it could have been worse, if your cluster is undamaged just replace the damaged gear and you should be fine, make sure you get the broken part out, maybe the bearing fell to bits and thats what broke the gear? just recheck the clearance between the endplate and the shim when you have it bolted back together, sometimes you might have to re- shim the box, depending on the width of the new gear.
Ok will check thanks
garry inglis

An easy fix then also don't forget the thin shim with cluster bearing when you put it back together

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information