What is the best Auto advance for my set up

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Eibar-Jet200
Main scooter: Serveta Jet 200

All,

I am currently rebuilding my Scoot in preparation for the Euro next year:

Standard Sil 200 top end
AF Crank
Original Ducati Electronic
24mm PWK carb
ScootRS / PM Exhaust

There are so many on the market now that I don't know what is the best way to choose.

Oh yeh, solo in a Skelly.

Thank you all.

John :shock:
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I have had no issue (fingers crossed and not wanting to tempt Fate) with a number of Agusto units and/or an M-Tech. I've thousands of miles on an Agusto 6000 unit and a couple of thousand on the M-Tech. The Agusto 6000 unit was on my bike for the last couple of Euro Lambretta rallies and all the miles between... I went to Germany both years (lol... long story but not ignition related)!

The beauty of the M-Tech is that it has a range of profiles to choose from... yet the beauty of the Agusto is that it has one profile only, saving us 'tinkerers' from wasting hours and hours messing about because we can't leave a multi-profile system alone! Provided you get the right profile single profile unit (Agusto) then it can save much messing about.

If you're considering fitting one for the benefits, you should also consider the chance of introducing another component to possibly go wrong! I'm a strong believer in the benefits of these bolt on advance/retard boxes but also realise that there isn't much wrong with a decent static electronic ignition. At least they tend to fail and stop you before doing much other damage, whereas you hope the same can be said for the add-on boxes, as you don't want it to fail and leave you on full advance! Otherwise you'll be doing a much bigger roadside repair than just a stator swap.

Adam
eden
Dealer

I would recommend the Kheper V3. I've done over 8000 miles on one this year so far.
They have lots of curves to choose from with the added benefit of also having 3 curves you can programme yourself. They also give a much higher voltage spark than any other cdi on the market.
Eibar-Jet200
Main scooter: Serveta Jet 200

Thank you for your responses.
Once I have it run in I may borrow an Augusto and see what the difference really is.

Regards

John
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I would definitely recommend that you fit a box with a few different curves in it. I found considerable differences between the performance of the selectable curves.

If you take the bike to a dyno, you can do a run for each curve in a matter of minutes, and over-lay the dyno curves on the same graph making interpretation of the results very easy. Here is a link to the graph from my scooter, when fitted with the four-option CDI unit from HHP, obtained from SIP in Germany. It is a busy old graph, but you can see differences in the performance depending on the curve.

http://colchesterdvlc.co.uk/martin/Dyno ... %20CDI.JPG

This was the subject of my most recent Oily Rag article in the New Jetset.
Martin
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I was under the impression these can only retard the timing? They can't advance the ignition ahead of being triggered by the flywheel sensor can they? I thought they just retarded the ignition as the revs increased.
coaster

EddieStone wrote:I was under the impression these can only retard the timing? They can't advance the ignition ahead of being triggered by the flywheel sensor can they? I thought they just retarded the ignition as the revs increased.
That's exactly what the Augusto does but at least some of the others start with retarded to make starting easier (less kick back) and then advance before retarding again higher up the rev range.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Agusto for me, strobe it and ride it.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

M-Tech for me. Only because I've fitted 3 with no issues and have not fitted any of the others (too many now, gets confusing ??).

I had a Varitronic which worked well......
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Chris in Margate wrote:Agusto for me, strobe it and ride it.
I would have agreed with you until I tried a multiple-choose option, and ended up using a setting I would never have opted for from the Agusto range. I now use a setting equivalent of the Agusto 8000, which previously I had considered to be way too extreme for my state of tune.

Interestingly, there is an option equivalent to the Vespatronic curve. I don't know if this is the same as the Varitronic curve, but it was a very disappointing ride by comparison to the setting for the Agusto 8000. If this is the case, it shows how much more can be gained by having a few options in the bag.
Martin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information