RB250 Flywheel

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

The AF lightened one seems the obvious choice but can they handle the high revs? The BGM looks nice and could do the job but expensive for a flywheel.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The big capacity of my similar size motor meant that a light AF flywheel was a little too light to allow the motor to tickover nicely. The light flywheel simply didn't have enough inertia to keep the flywheel spinning against the engine breaking of a big CC with reasonable compression, unless I set tickover to be far faster than I was happy with. In this case I went for a lightened and strengthened SIL flywheel, which didn't put to much stress/strain on the crank but still keeps it ticking over at reasonable revs.

That said, I don't really like the SIL flywheels as, even when welded, there are lots of parts that make up the flywheel and lots of possible failure points (fans shear/explode, magnet covers come loose, rivets shear, bosses crack, etc.). As such, many people are now hoping that the MB/BGM flywheel delivers all that it promises to... but with ALL new products... time will tell. Certainly the new flywheel promises to fill this gap in the market and I really hope that it does as it is a product that all of us rally-going scooterists has been after for years!

Adam

PS - Please note that I am a fan of the light AF flywheels, especially the Ducati ones, however, I just found it a little too light for this big cc use... although I've never found this to be the case on 225cc motors that I've been very happy using them on.
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

Are you thinking of the AF ducati type indian flywheel,or the midweight one? I'm using a SIL flywheel,machined to midweight with normal fin height on a ts1. A friend with a RB22 has the same as me,but has had it welded.Another friend with a RB22, chose the variotronic for his motor.Both are revvy motors with race type pipes,Taffy race and Franspeed race. So far no issues. I wouldn't of though the RB250 would be much different in fairness. Have you spoken to AF regards their opinion.Cheers,Speedy.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

ive used the indian 2kg flywheel for nearly 3 years now, never had a problem with it, done quite a few miles. Im awaiting a new BGM flywheel which should be here soon this week. Something else to spend my dosh on just for the sake of it I suppose lol
Lamaddict

I've not had a chance to speak to AF's yet and they left the matter off the RB250 blurb you get with the kit . I do like the BGM ones but very expensive and I'm worn out arguing with the wife about new buying bits but that life I suppose.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information