waterproofing electrics

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
des

On 2 occasions my scooter has died on prolonged journeys in heavy rain, the scooter started up some hours later when dried out.

On both occasions they was no spark after breakdown but there was power coming from the sator as the horn worked if pressed in and bike was kicked over, so is it just down to the cdi getting wet, the one fitted is a blue one and quiet a few year old now.

If i fit a new one can i be sure the scoot is not going to fail again in heavy rain or could there be something else going on.
goldeneye

what scooter is this on? if its a lammy with electronic, fit a vespa rubber boot over the coil where the wires go in, use some silicon grease over the terminals, cable tie the boot shut either end, and carry a small tin of WD40. a squirt on your electrics, in the ignition switch and plug etc can work wonders. try the simple stuff first. lammy ignition switches can short out when wet, and a squirt of WD usually does the trick.
coaster

goldeneye has it all covered there and periodic squirets with the WD 40 won't go amiss either. as for the horn working when it dies, the horn and lights use seperate coils on the stator and are connected to the regulator, not the CDI so are no indication of the ignition working.
warts
Main scooter: honda

I filled everything with hi-dielectric silicone grease. Connector blocks, switches and terminals. I got it from work - used to insulate the torch on a plasma cutter, should work at 12v. I guess any "for electrical use" would work. But fill it up, don't leave room for water.....
This was 25 years ago, not touched it since, still works now.
joey

...usually jet wash scoot once a year and never had a restart problem...

as said fit the rubber boots/silicon lube/ cable tie closed... use ngk rubber sealed plug cap and use a rubber cap over the HT lead onto the coil as that can short out to frame/etc.....

keep components like coil clean as dirt when damp can trip out...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information