5 speed box fitting tips

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

Fairly confident when fitting 4speeds...but at one point there was quite a few breaking which has given me the fear!

Also which front sprocket size do people use?

Going into a GT186.

Many thanks in advance.

Scott.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

psychedelicropcircle wrote:Fairly confident when fitting 4speeds...but at one point there was quite a few breaking which has given me the fear!

Also which front sprocket size do people use?

Going into a GT186.

Many thanks in advance.

Scott.
Hello mate, fitted mine some time ago and (fingers crossed) all good up to now. From what I could gather when I was researching fitting it, one of the main things is to make sure the 5th gear lines up level with the teeth on the cluster cluster. I put it together without 123 and 4 and could get my phone under thee and plate to record it and could see that it lined up perfect. You can also by little endoscopes on ebay for a tenner - these attach to your laptop and you can stick the probe in to check. Have you got the booklet? It has some handy tips in there - such as making sure the pawls on the selector don't hit your casing on you won't get into 5th gear - I had to dremel a bit off mine - it shows you in the booklet how to do it. And, lastly get it as tight as possible in spec with the endplate shim - managed to get mine bang on 0.1 :D

Fitting tips are on here if you haven't got the book:

http://www.lambretta5speed.com
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Having built up both Cylone and MBD gear boxes, I'll have to say the MBD one was much easier to set up.

The only hick up was the MBD 5 speed wanted to run with the MBD layshaft and not the factory Innocenti one I had. This fitment issue might have been addressed in the latest version but you'd have to ask Mark about it. Even with that minor issue, the MBD one took about 1/2 the time to assemble vs the Cyclone.

No matter what 5 speed you choose, be sure to modify the ends of the shift yoke so they don't bottom out against the case.
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

Grumpy225 wrote:Having built up both Cylone and MBD gear boxes, I'll have to say the MBD one was much easier to set up.

The only hick up was the MBD 5 speed wanted to run with the MBD layshaft and not the factory Innocenti one I had. This fitment issue might have been addressed in the latest version but you'd have to ask Mark about it. Even with that minor issue, the MBD one took about 1/2 the time to assemble vs the Cyclone.

No matter what 5 speed you choose, be sure to modify the ends of the shift yoke so they don't bottom out against the case.
Could you explain the modification to the shift yoke please sir?
immylam

My Cyclone sometimes jumps out of 5th , have adjusted cables , refitted gearbox, shimmed etc , does it perhaps need a slither ground off the sliding dog?
alanscottj

immylam wrote:My Cyclone sometimes jumps out of 5th , have adjusted cables , refitted gearbox, shimmed etc , does it perhaps need a slither ground off the sliding dog?
I think this was the whole point of the grounding of the sliding dog - to ensure that it gets into fifth gear properly so that it doesn't jump out. I have also heard that using the bigger MB gear change wheel in the headset help as well. I have done both on mine and never have a problem with it jumping out of gear :D
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

The large MB gear wheel sorted mine out.... 8-)
immylam

What did you dremmel , how much etc? Did the MB wheel stop you jumping out of gear without modifying the sliding dog? Surely it will still hit if the travel is still the same inside the gearbox/casings to get 5th.
alanscottj

immylam wrote:What did you dremmel , how much etc? Did the MB wheel stop you jumping out of gear without modifying the sliding dog? Surely it will still hit if the travel is still the same inside the gearbox/casings to get 5th.
If you follow this link it 'should' take you to a copy of the fitting book - it has all of the 'hints and tips' and possible fitment issues. There is clear diagrams of where you have to dremel (page 19).

https://issuu.com/riminilambrettacentre ... one_manual

Everything is in there - hope it helps :D

Scott
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

immylam wrote:What did you dremmel , how much etc? Did the MB wheel stop you jumping out of gear without modifying the sliding dog? Surely it will still hit if the travel is still the same inside the gearbox/casings to get 5th.
I was thinking the same thing. The distance traveled in the case is fixed relative to the gear and slider placement. The headset pulley diameter has no affect on how far the slider moves, only on how far the shifting perch moves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information