MOT lighting question

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
johnny650
Main scooter: lambretta 64 li 150 Special

Heres an odd question. has anyone ever had any issues with getting an MOT pass due to low headlight levels on a non-battery scoot ?

For the past 2x MOTs my non-battery64 LiS150 has failed the lighting test due to lighting issues and I've been happy to accept a 'daylight MOT pass'
Last week the same tester and I were talking about this during my MOT test and he decided to do some research on the MOT website.

When he returned he said that he couldn't find any reference whatsoever about failing the scoot due to low or poor light levels and so couldn't actually fail the scoot . He was a bit mystified and there was a lot of sucking cheeks and blowing air but in the end he gave me an advisory to cover himself .
So now I can ride in the dark ...not that I can ever see a time when I should want to . Its scary enough riding the thing in broad daylight :shock:
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

ive not failed an mot myself with a dim headlamp but have tried to fix this issue myself, your ignition system may be part of the problem, if its an old points set up yo may find the flywheel is low on magnetism, changing to 12volt electronic is a big upgrade and should give you a headlamp thats bright enough for you to be seen, if its an li model a halogen headlamp bulb may help, as will a led rear light conversion, i make these myself and sell plenty, also stops your headlamp dimming when you brake, my pal has one of my led conversions on his 125 special and a h4 headlamp bulb plus electronic kit from bgm, thats 120 watt and his headlamp is very very bright. ive got all of these on my gp and my lights are very bright as well, i always ride with lights on as well to make me more visable, the old line "i didnt see you" is not applicable, any upgrade to your lights is a wise thing to spend time and money on,
hope you can find a solution,
holty
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

The MOT man has no right to fail your scooter on the lighting,if it was legal when it was new and the lights are just as good (bad)now,its still legal now.
johnny650

holty wrote:ive not failed an mot myself with a dim headlamp but have tried to fix this issue myself, your ignition system may be part of the problem, if its an old points set up yo may find the flywheel is low on magnetism, changing to 12volt electronic is a big upgrade and should give you a headlamp thats bright enough for you to be seen, if its an li model a halogen headlamp bulb may help, as will a led rear light conversion, i make these myself and sell plenty, also stops your headlamp dimming when you brake, my pal has one of my led conversions on his 125 special and a h4 headlamp bulb plus electronic kit from bgm, thats 120 watt and his headlamp is very very bright. ive got all of these on my gp and my lights are very bright as well, i always ride with lights on as well to make me more visable, the old line "i didnt see you" is not applicable, any upgrade to your lights is a wise thing to spend time and money on,
hope you can find a solution,
holty
Thats a good point you make about daylight running with bright headlights for safety reasons. I have that feature on my motorbike but never really thought about it for my scoot.

I am constantly torn between conserving the scoot as it is , (95% original ) and upgrading / restoring it. Its a constant battle in my mind so much so that I have been collecting bits to make a restored bitsa for a while now.

I am currently building a replacement engine gearbox (200cc small block kit) and I'll probably install that with 12v electronic ignition and lighting.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

that sounds like a plan, you can keep the original engine and it can always be refitted in the future, if your scooter is original i think most people would want it to stay that way, an upgrade that doesnt affect the exterior of the scooter is worth doing in my opinion.
johnny650

@ Holty ...yes that has to be the most practical way to make the most of our scoots. my plan is to put the 200cc engine in whilst I rebuild the original 150 and then swop them back but I might get to like that extra power too much lol .

Martin ..Let me know if you need any bits for yours as I have a little stock of spare parts and I know a guy that has a huge hoard of original parts
johnny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information