Dumb question

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
dazblakey

Why use studs and bolts on the chain casing and not cap head bolts?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Better to use studs and nuts so that you put the stud securely into the casing once and leave it there for the life of the machine, only taking off the nut to remove the side casing. If you use a bolt (hex head or cap head) then you need to remove the bolt every time you have the side casing off, for whatever reason. As soon as you start removing, then refitting steel bolts into soft aluminium casing threads you also introduce wear to the alloy thread and the chance of cross-threading / damaging the casing.

You also need to ensure that every bolt has a perfectly cut thread as a poorly cut stud thread will cut into the casing and lock up, which isn't so bad if it is going to be left in there (tight), however, if you do this with the same poorly threaded bolt it will cut into the alloy tightly on the way in and remove the alloy the next time the bolt is removed. In doing so the thread becomes progressively weaker.

Basically, using studs protects your casing from increased risk of damage and wear.

Adam
dazblakey

Brilliant thanks Adam, going to replace my studs next time it's in bits I'll but I quality set then

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information