Engine Case Cleaning

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
mr mugello

I took a 200 Italian case to a well known dealer for a full rebuild. They blast cleaned the casing rough as hell. Don,t know what they used. I was well peed off as I never asked for it to be blast cleaned in the first place, as it was in good original condition. Being rough it gets grubby easily. Would it be possible to make it smoother if using a different media ?
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

yes you want it aqua blasting, i use tony at ajs in hull, it gives it a nice dull sheen, will make it look nice, and easy to keep clean.
holty
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

mr mugello wrote:I took a 200 Italian case to a well known dealer for a full rebuild. They blast cleaned the casing rough as hell. Don,t know what they used. I was well peed off as I never asked for it to be blast cleaned in the first place, as it was in good original condition. Being rough it gets grubby easily. Would it be possible to make it smoother if using a different media ?
Yes you could use fine beed to "peen" the profile of the ridges back or alternatively, and this is for you as well Martin with the rough Indian cases. Use a bronze wire wheel in a hand grinder, this is how I did my case last January as we are a large mobile blasting contractor and don't have the luxury of a blasting cabinet with glass bead etc, I just blasted the case at as low a pressure as I could with expendable glass grit then buffed it up with said bronze wheel and applied a coat of wax for good measure, the finish still looks great and still doesent hold on to the dirt, I just rinse it off with some Muk off and water every now and again.
Scoot
Main scooter: Lambretta Jet200

fluff34567 wrote:Noooo. Dishwasher dulls the casing !

I did that. I put mine in the dishwasher and it came out a dull Matt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
fluff34567

Also be careful if using hot water on a blasted case or carb etc unless it's been laquered. The same happens.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

+1 for the oven cleaner and a suede brush
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information