Electronic tag

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
thackers

Having just read on Facebook about 4 scooters being stolen together ,I was wondering if there was a credible tagging device that could be secreted on a scooter ,which would then be able to be traced if the scooter is stolen? I've heard about the trackr which has the principle in mind bur seems to be a load of rubbish . Anyone using one that works ,or even makes them ? I'm sure there would be a good demand for the right product.
I don't know who the lad was who lost the scooters , but I shared the post and wish him only the best in getting them back quickly.
fluff34567

Forget the adverts for the coin sized things.. they are shite with amazing advertising. Only real way is a proper tracker but then you need to hide it .. and power it.
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

Oxford tracker, works well, within limits.
Not cheap at £200 https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Automotive/O ... B00TQXO92C and it has a hefty subscription price per year (£60).
Has a built in aerial and 10 year (max) battery and fits in quite a few locations with no issues on most classics, so it doesn't need (and can't use anyway) an external battery.

However, in geofence function it tracks and alerts accurately enough, altering by text/email reliably and accurately however mine is showing it located 2/3 doors down from where I live so don't buy one thinking it will locate a bike within less than a 20 meter radius realistically -not too bad if your thief is in a rural area -could be tricky in a city though!

The tile bluetooth tags work ok, but rely heavily on a tile user going past your tile-attached stuff (i.e.w within 10m) for any alert to be made -these could, feasibly, be helpful in a built up area if you know more or less where the bike is (i.e. you have a tracker also).
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

a "cheap" mobile phone with GPS capabilities can be utilised as a tracker. With a decent battery life on most mobiles it would be a cheap option, or if a battery was fitted it would be permanently powered. Obviously the phone would need to be hidden, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Seeing how frightenly quick they stripped Chucks scooter it almost needs to be hidden in the frame, but then I guess it wouldn't attract a signal... :?
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

^^ got to agree -although that means the loop being cut off & rewarded of course which is a tad OTT for most people.
Signal wise mine is buried deep under bodywork etc and still gets a decent signal- just a thought -maybe it would be more accurate if it wasn't underneath metal?

There is an option for one with a remote aerial (basically a piece of wire coming off the unit) which would undoubtedly help wherever the main unit was hidden.

The facts are I suppose it depends very much how fast you will notice the bikes gone - certainly the tracker with subscription means your phone would know immediately and be tracking the unit.
Of course the thief will guess/know what the unit is when they see it but most will already have take the bike to their home/lockup by then and the tracker will have recorded that.

I did try one of those stand alone GPS units with sim card and mobile phone battery, but they rarely lasted more than a couple of days, so not suitable IMHO unless you remember to recharge them all the time.
thackers

I have no electronic skills but I'm sure the parts are avaliable to form your own ? Lithium powered so it lasts a period of time .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information