Insurance and breakdown

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
vespanic

Some of the breakdown insurances bought independently from the insurance cover may not cover you abroad because of age and engine size. Read policy carefully before relying on it.
On another note I once told Carole Nash about the upgrades (suspension, exhaust carb, gearbox etc) on my scooter and they were not interested apart from the cc. I now have it at an agreed value for my peace of mind.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

dazblakey wrote:
mick1 wrote:I listed everything I could think of, even the more obscure bits (pull down tensioner, different levers, wider rims, etc). I got an agreed valuation and the "modifications" didn't effect the original quote.
Who with mick
Sorry just saw the post.......Footman James
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

vespanic wrote:Some of the breakdown insurances bought independently from the insurance cover may not cover you abroad because of age and engine size. Read policy carefully before relying on it.
On another note I once told Carole Nash about the upgrades (suspension, exhaust carb, gearbox etc) on my scooter and they were not interested apart from the cc. I now have it at an agreed value for my peace of mind.
I tried that with Carole Nash and they refused to insure me on a classic policy as too many modifications from standard...they even included the seat in that, so I went with Peter James, all mods declared, agreed values, Euro breakdown cover and beat everyone else on price too.

It would be foolish not to declare all modifications to insurers, as in case of a claim if they find something you did not declare then your insurance will be invalidated and they will not pay out.

Personally for breakdown cover I use Green Flag that I get included with my bank account, ok I have to pay for the account but when you take into consideration free breakdown, mobile phone insurance, travel insurance, etc. it works out loads cheaper.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Just insured with Adrien s Flux, agreed value, all modifications, legal cover, free recovery + once from abroad. £118.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Also Bennetts wanted £268 + £250 excess, waste of time them lot.
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

Burnside wrote:
vespanic wrote:Some of the breakdown insurances bought independently from the insurance cover may not cover you abroad because of age and engine size. Read policy carefully before relying on it.
I tried that with Carole Nash and they refused to insure me on a classic policy as too many modifications from standard...they even included the seat in that, so I went with Peter James, all mods declared, agreed values, Euro breakdown cover and beat everyone else on price too.

It would be foolish not to declare all modifications to insurers, as in case of a claim if they find something you did not declare then your insurance will be invalidated and they will not pay out.

Personally for breakdown cover I use Green Flag that I get included with my bank account, ok I have to pay for the account but when you take into consideration free breakdown, mobile phone insurance, travel insurance, etc. it works out loads cheaper.
Strange how things differ for different people. I have just added my J50 with 230 Series 3 engine in with virtually everything modified to my Carole Nash policy and I kept stressing how modified it was but the guy just said "No Problem".
a.j

Just been directly to my insurer for my 535 cafe racer Royal Enfield, from £78 last year I've been listening to the usual spiel that they insist on going through for data protection purposes, yaaaaaaaawn, and then he put me on hold while he was sorting it out, matey gets back to me on the phone & comes in at £168. While I was going through this drawn out process I went on the meerkat site, logged in & spent two minutes updating the details from last years quote, it came up with the same company I'm on the phone to at £108 for this year. There's some f'kin chancers about trying to screw commission out of the unaware punter!!

He weren't happy. :lol:
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

a.j wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:10 pm Just been directly to my insurer for my 535 cafe racer Royal Enfield, from £78 last year I've been listening to the usual spiel that they insist on going through for data protection purposes, yaaaaaaaawn, and then he put me on hold while he was sorting it out, matey gets back to me on the phone & comes in at £168. While I was going through this drawn out process I went on the meerkat site, logged in & spent two minutes updating the details from last years quote, it came up with the same company I'm on the phone to at £108 for this year. There's some f'kin chancers about trying to screw commission out of the unaware punter!!

He weren't happy. :lol:
it certainly pays to do some homework each year like above with the meerkat / supermarket or similar, as an example my car this year had a much dearer quote than the last year, did the web thing and got it over £100 about30% cheaper on 2 sites...... guess what, they were both my current insurer.... robbing f....rs, got a quote number and they gave me the lower price . I think this auto renew is a scam for the unwary.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information