Insurance and breakdown

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
mr mugello

Do most folks get breakdown cover through insurance company or go direct to AA ,etc ? Also when declaring non standard modifications, do you need to state completly everything , such as non standard seat, front dampers fitted, as well as general modifications like bigger cc kit ? Thanks
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

In theory you have to notify EVERYTHING. If you haven't and the claim is big enough, they will start to look for ways not to pay.
Scootering since 1968.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Carole Nash includes breakdown plus European which is good for me as I go to France once a year. Think I've used them 4 times in 15 years and the service, now via the AA has always been very good and reasonably quick. I have 2 scooters and tell them the engine size only.
davet

I broke down on way back from a euro 40k from the ferry in Zeegbrugge, with four hours to spare. The phone call to CN started a nightmare. Summary is the AA wouldn't take me to the ferry. They took me in the other direction to a depot. 20 calls to CN and AA later, I ended up stuck in Belgium. CNZ Would not pay for hotel or taxi to hotel. They paid for flight back only. Scooter came back 3 weeks later damaged.

Lessons learned- Be pushy and video scooter ALL OVER if you have to leave it somewhere. It was the only thing that saved me.
mr mugello

Had what seems a decent quote from Allstyles including breakdown. No policy details given only quote. Read on a post something about a breakdown call out is classed as a claim. Is this policy still ongoing with some insurance companies ?Will ring Allstyles to check theirs.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Timbo wrote:....... I have 2 scooters and tell them the engine size only.
I'd say that's risky, particularly if you have a full on tuned scooter that was involved in a crash.

I've just insured a new scooter. I listed the precise GT186 engine, dual tank conversion, MB Clubman and 30mm PHBH. I forgot to mention things like sidepanels, rear shock and front dampers but I should have.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I listed everything I could think of, even the more obscure bits (pull down tensioner, different levers, wider rims, etc). I got an agreed valuation and the "modifications" didn't effect the original quote.
dazblakey

mick1 wrote:I listed everything I could think of, even the more obscure bits (pull down tensioner, different levers, wider rims, etc). I got an agreed valuation and the "modifications" didn't effect the original quote.
Who with mick
philz
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150

I have breakdown cover for car which is personal. I rang them and it covers me for the scooter or any vehicle i use. Worth checking your car breakdown cover.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
tavspeed

i have rac recovery with my car,which covers me on any motor vehicle in the uk,i have been recovered twice on my lambretta in the past 4 years,lastly on sunday near malton,on the way back from scarborough,they turned up in 30 mins,and brought me home,
carol nash load the premium for recovery,i was paying £140 with carol nash,now pay £67 with bennets for fully comp no recovery.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information