Clearcoat laquer or not?

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

well done !
looks spot on that
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Thanks guys, here is what she looks like now. I'm going to do the headset top, horncast and mudguard next, I also have a pair of polished stainless TS1 engraved panel flashes that will look mint with the dark background:

Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
coaster

Youv'e done a cracking job there but the shine will get even better with elbow grease, a soft cloth and some good quality paint restoration polish (NOT T Cut), Auto Glym and McGuires do it. Follow that with some McGuires Carnuba Wax and you will be blown away I promise 8-). The lacquer will harden some more over the coming weeks so you can leave this for a while ;)
alanscottj

coaster wrote:Youv'e done a cracking job there but the shine will get even better with elbow grease, a soft cloth and some good quality paint restoration polish (NOT T Cut), Auto Glym and McGuires do it. Follow that with some McGuires Carnuba Wax and you will be blown away I promise 8-). The lacquer will harden some more over the coming weeks so you can leave this for a while ;)
Thanks Coaster :D Going to leave it a few days whilst I prep the other parts to be painted next then will do as you suggest with the McGuires.
alanscottj

Finished my panels - though I had to repaint the first one that I did. When I sprayed the second one I did what was suggested in a previous post, not flatten the purple with it being metallic (I read the post after I had done it the first time!) The difference in the second panel was really obvious - a nice metallic colour when the light hits it. So, re-painted the first panel and the headset and I have to say it is looking pretty good. There's a couple of tiny bits where I could do with re-doing but they can wait.

Took Coaster's advice and bought some McGuire's from Halfords and it does the job - but, I have swirl marks which I think are under the clear coat - they aren't too bad but I will sort them out at some point as they do spoil an otherwise excellent finish. It's my first time and I now have all of the equipment so it won't be my last. A few lessons learnt but I have really enjoyed having a go.

Next on the to do list is the last bits of blue on the horn-casing and the mudguard. This is 2 pack with no clear coat so I have been told that it will be ok to mask off the surrounding white, Scotchbrite the blue and spray purple :D
coaster

alanscottj wrote:............. This is 2 pack with no clear coat so I have been told that it will be ok to mask off the surrounding white, Scotchbrite the blue and spray purple :D
Cracking job so far but once you have de-glazed the blue, I would spray a thin coat of white primer before you go with the purple. The reason being that 2k is pretty much bullet proof and it will be like spraying on glass otherwise. The primer will key to the blue and give a good surface for the purple to bond to.
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

The only problem is, if you have any kind of stripes or edge to edge colour you will end up with a "lip" even if you use fine line or soft edge masking tape, the only way round this is to lacquer it, flat the lacquer with 800 grit then re-lacquer (flow coat) it, that way you won't have an edge/lip where the paint will wear/chip over time
alanscottj

Finally finished the paint! Found out that the swirl marks that I thought were under the lacquer were actually in the lacquer from the buffer machine. Managed to polish them out with the Maguire's (thanks for the tip Coaster). The paintwork looks mint now, really pleased with it :D

Thanks for all the advice!

Scott
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

nice job scott, looks very nice, i think its the contrast with the white that does it, you should be pretty pleased with the end result, are you going to paint another one now ?

holty
alanscottj

holty wrote:nice job scott, looks very nice, i think its the contrast with the white that does it, you should be pretty pleased with the end result, are you going to paint another one now ?

holty
Thanks Holty - and yes, I have the original light blue panels and headset top to play with now. The panels need repairing where they have split around the kickstart area. Will have a go at repairing them myself (learn to weld???) and then have a go at painting something a little more challenging. Maybe have a go at pinstripes/2 colours or using templates.

Who knows? I have the bug now :lol: Lol!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information