Rust removal bodywork Lambretta

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
mr mugello

Hi. Scooter not too bad and looking to prep for respray myself by sanding down. When it comes to difficult areas like side panel edges where rust is showing, but not flaking,, can these be treated with anything to stop further rusting, before applying paint. Don,t fancy having them blasted as most of bodywork is in good condition. Thanks.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Short answer is no. Having said that you used to and still,probably can get a product you brush on that will chemicaly change it to stop it spreading further but looks an unsightly black colour, not sure how successful it is though.
What I would do is strip the affected areas with a wire wheel on a small angle grinder (very effective) and apply a product called "Zinga" (you need to google it) my company used to be one of a few approved applicators for the product a few years ago, to be honest it was a great product but seriously over priced and hence never cought on in a big way, I've just checked and see they now do aerosol tins of the stuff which is ideal for what we want.
We did a trial which involved blasting a piece of mild steel plate, masking half and spraying the other half, once it dried I hung it up in my garden for about 3 years, well obviously the bare steel rusted right away but the coated part never changed, but interestingly the bare metal from around 3 mm from the coated area stayed as clean metal and never rusted, probably down to the cathodic property's of the product.
Sorry for rambling, but to sum up: clean back with a wire wheel, apply Zinga (as your primer) and coat with your normal paint, job done.
mr mugello

Thanks. Will look into the primer mentioned
mr mugello

What sanding tools are best for getting rust off. Would a grinder with emery cloth type wheel be too aggressive for bodywork , is this tool a no no before I start ?
Scooterdude

I've found all you need is a good wire wheel but yes try an emery wheel but be careful. If it's bad I'd be inclined to use some emery cloth by hand then clean up with the wire wheel.
Just looked you can get Zinga on eBay £30 per kilo which if I remember rightly equates to about 3/4 of a litre.
mr mugello

Do you mean a wire wheel attachment on a grinder, or drill ?
Scooterdude

Grinder dude, drill attachment will struggle to scratch your arse.
mr mugello

:D
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

mr mugello wrote:Hi. Scooter not too bad and looking to prep for respray myself by sanding down. When it comes to difficult areas like side panel edges where rust is showing, but not flaking,, can these be treated with anything to stop further rusting, before applying paint. Don,t fancy having them blasted as most of bodywork is in good condition. Thanks.
Try :
http://jenolite.net

or

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-pro ... nts/deox-c
http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-pro ... s/deox-gel
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Jenolite forms a hard crust over the surface of the rust but if you're not careful what's under the crust just carries on eating away at your metal.

Using wire wheels can cause more damage that blasting and also can just cause the surface of the rust to glaze over and you end up with the same scenario as using Jenolite.

Most painters prefer stuff blasted as it gives them the right sort of surface to key the paint to.
Did you have to do that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information