Series2 1960 no spark

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
jbg584
Main scooter: Lambretta 1960 series 2

Scoot wont start no spark changed plug 2/ took of cap no spark 3/ removed green stator wire from junction box earthed had a small spark as only 30 volts at this point,so power from condensor etc. 4/ replaced wire,
removed green wire to headset still no spark.5/ checked for small spark on feed to coil ,had small spark so indicates power to coil. 6/ changed coil for another but dont know if this one is ok as its been knocking around for 56 years.Any ideas unless someone could lend me a working coil to try and eliminate this,I live in Marcham near Abingdon ox136nt
Cheers Ray
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Has it ever ran or has been sitting around for a long time without use? I'm wondering about the flywheel losing magnetism. If so, I read something about spinning the flywheel in reverse using a drill to re-energise it.

I'm in Newbury & have a 55 year old coil that did work for me, so not that far away if you get stuck.
jbg584

Hi this is her now owned by me since 1960 was running fine when I parked her up in a dry garage in September.I usually run her every few weeks during the winter just to keep things turning but last time no go
jbg584

cheers may take you up on the offer if I have no joy trying all sorts
Ray
firekdp

Hi, I would start from scratch, ie. recheck points gap, if signs of pitting renew them and change condenser.

Rig up a timing light circuit, (battery, lamp holder and 25w lamp). Connecting this across the stator green (disconnected) and earth will give you an indication that the ignition circuit is operating correctly. When the points are closed the lamp should be at full brilliance, turning the flywheel slowly to the firing point the lamp should dim when the points open. If the lamp doesn't behave this way you obviously have a problem at the stator.

How have you checked the kill circuit? Removing the loom green from the junction box would also disconnect the HT coil from the stator so it would never spark.
jbg584

Hi
Sussed it- At last it turned out to be the wire that goes from the points to the condenser somehow it had moved and was rubbed through by the flywheel so I was getting small spark from the green wire as it passed the gaps in the flywheel but not continually,and the spark took the easier route when the coil put in the demand for power.
Thanks to you all maybe this may come in useful if anyone else has a similar problem.
Ray
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information