SIP speedo - speedo sensor flickering :-(

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Bought a new speedo sensor for my SIP speedo (run by Varitronic) - the old one got damaged. I know that the blue light is supposed to stay on but mine is just flickering on and off. The lights on the scoot are spot on, the horn works as it should, engine runs great so I assume that the electrics, earths etc are all good. The speedo lights up all as it should but as soon as I add the speedo sensor the digital display (the speed numbers) starts jumping all over the place showing random numbers :roll: like I say, the speedo sensor blue light flickers like it is only getting electric intermittently, I have checked all wiring for loose connections etc but can't figure it out :cry:
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

The blue light comes on when the magnetic pickup passes it, otherwise it should be off. Sounds like it's too close to something or getting interference from somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
alanscottj

GeorgeS wrote:The blue light comes on when the magnetic pickup passes it, otherwise it should be off. Sounds like it's too close to something or getting interference from somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Are you sure? I thought it was on all the time and then off when the magnet passes?
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Just went and checked. When first powered the blue light on the sensor came on & stayed on solid. I rotated the wheel and after the magnet/pickup passed the sensor for the 1st time the light went out and stayed out. For each next revolution the blue light came on only when the magnet/pickup passed the sensor.
alanscottj

GeorgeS wrote:Just went and checked. When first powered the blue light on the sensor came on & stayed on solid. I rotated the wheel and after the magnet/pickup passed the sensor for the 1st time the light went out and stayed out. For each next revolution the blue light came on only when the magnet/pickup passed the sensor.
Thanks for checking bud - mines all over the place - comes on properly - then flickers - it is a brand new sensor as well. This used to work so I have a feeling the speedo unit might be faulty. Considering the Trail Tech - this SIP has been a pain :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information