Rotax 300 builld

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
RManson
Main scooter: Jet 200

Last but not least, I never really liked the Aprilia gauge cluster so I decided to swap it out in favor of one from a Yamaha R6. Gonna take a bit of work to get everything operational but I think it will be worth it and it's fun trying to figure out the hows and whys, so what the hell?

ImageRotax Lamby build-150 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RManson

With the beast up and running it was time to sort out one of the final fabrication tasks; the rearset brake lever. I started with an aftermarket lever from a Yamaha R1, broke the cable mounting point and ended up having to weld up a new ear. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it allowed me to better line up the mounting point with the cable. Status quo for this project! lol

ImageRotax Lamby build-154 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

The stock kickstarter pad was killing me and after racking my shin on it pretty good, I decided I needed to do something about it. I had a couple random aluminum bits laying around and used one for the pedal pad. No more slipping off the lever! I also fabricated a stop to contact the engine pad so that the lever is located in the proper spot. With the bumper installed, the pad will sit level with or slightly below the foot board.

ImageRotax Lamby build-152 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

I also tackled the air cleaner issue as I'd been running around with an oversized UNI filter that wouldn't clear the side panel. I ended up machining the SBN air cleaner adapter to accept a stainless mesh filter thingie and also trimmed a bit of foam to fit underneath so that I actually have some sort of filter element.

ImageRotax Lamby build-151 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Of course it'll need a source of fresh air, so I added these bolt-on louvers to the side panel that I had sitting around. The side panel is cut out below each louver, allowing air to enter.

ImageRotax Lamby build-155 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Here's everything installed with the side panel buttoned up. Pretty happy with the fitment of everything, even better that it works!

ImageRotax Lamby build-153 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
RManson

Removed the Aprilia RS125 gauge cluster and mounted this Yamaha R1 cluster instead as I never really cared for the Aprilia unit. Quite happy with the R1 cluster, but it wasn't an easy task as most of the signals for the gauge are processed through the R1's ECU.

ImageRotax Lamby build-156 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-157 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Speed on the Yamaha is detected via a pickup mounted in the engine case that reads off 6th gear. Using the stock pickup mounted off the front fork and a SpeedoDRD calibrator, we've got an accurate speedo signal, as well as temp, tach, and low fuel light.

ImageRotax Lamby build-158 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-159 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerryjunior
Xbox live gamer tag: no
Playstation gamer tag: no
Main scooter: lambretta li 2

im really enjoying this build, top class work, well done and enjoy.
RManson

Thanks! Been fun, but a bit frustrating at times as it seems to take three steps forward and two back. Just tore apart the engine as I have yet to get the carb to respond properly to any tuning. Turns out it had a slight air leak at the base of the intake. Of course once it was apart, there was coolant in the bottom of the crankcase as well. Hmmmmmmm.....

Seems there was a pinhole in the crankcase from all the machining that was just big enough to allow coolant through. That would explain the smoke! I thought it was just a bit too much 2T oil in the fuel! Oh well at least it wasn't burning gearbox oil as I first thought. Seals are good! Guess it's time to repair the mag housing threads I've been putting off as well...no good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Reassembling the engine now as I should have in the first place; pressure testing everything as it's assembled!

ImageRotax Lamby build-160 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

oh dear, thats a shame, i am sure you will work it out, thats the trouble with custom made scooters, your bound to have teathing troubles or find that another way would have been better, but hey, thats part of the challenge, everyone would build there own if it was easy, im still waiting for my engine case to come back from the welders before i can continue with my rotax conversion.
:D
RManson

So true! Sorted out the coolant issue and now on to tackle the intake leak. Should have it sorted by days end...
RManson

Not diggin the louvers on the side panel so I opted to change things up...

ImageRotax Lamby build-161 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-162 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RManson

Finally got the engine sorted and the carb dialed in. Video to come but for the meantime, been busy wrapping up the fab work...

ImageRotax Lamby build-163 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-164 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-165 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

ImageRotax Lamby build-166 by PotvinV8, on Flickr

Ties everything together quite nice methinks...

ImageRotax Lamby build-167 by PotvinV8, on Flickr
Last edited by RManson on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Is that the heater for your legs in the lovely English weather :lol:
Seriously though, love your work! (I didn't like the louvres much either)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information