splash plate, whats the point?

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

Few miles now on my indian gp rebuild, I neglected to fit a splash plate when i fitted the stand. Is the plate nessessary?
coaster

Some people remove them in the belief that it improves airflow but that won't be based on any science as such. The most immediate effect will be that your main strut, head cowling and exhaust down pipe will get encrusted in crud!
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I don't think anybody is entirely sure about the merits of the splashplate. I think it probably is what it is, a bit of protection. But the Spanish did away with them on the Jet and the Indians turned theirs into Gorgonzola cheese. So somebody was thinking about the pros and cons of a splashplate.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

If you turn them round so that the curve is pointing forward they act like an aerofoil, like wings on motogp bikes.

With the result that you can take just about any corner at full speed.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

hendy wrote:If you turn them round so that the curve is pointing forward they act like an aerofoil, like wings on motogp bikes.

With the result that you can take just about any corner at full speed.
+ You do have to make sure they are on dead straight or they will induce a weave at very high speed. Honest.
YAMLAM

they are there to improve the aerodynamic shape of the lambretta.
also known as a wind drag :lol:
win or lose have a booze
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

A friend of mine in the sixties made a mudflap out of thick rubber and fit it in front of the splash plate,the mudflap was the width of the scooter and reached the ground when fixed in position,it looked very good and was very functional.
a.j

HxPaul wrote:A friend of mine in the sixties made a mudflap out of thick rubber and fit it in front of the splash plate,the mudflap was the width of the scooter and reached the ground when fixed in position,it looked very good and was very functional.
Thats a good idea, as it wont get twatted everytime you bung it in a van. :roll:
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

a.j wrote:
HxPaul wrote:A friend of mine in the sixties made a mudflap out of thick rubber and fit it in front of the splash plate,the mudflap was the width of the scooter and reached the ground when fixed in position,it looked very good and was very functional.
Thats a good idea, as it wont get twatted everytime you bung it in a van. :roll:
unlike a jl3 then :o
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information