My DL200 Electronic project

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

Love it . Well done mate . credit to you . 8-) ;) G.
Villmark
Main scooter: DL200

@ Chris Tindal: Same with mine. Both of the horncasts I had were stamped Innocenti but one is narrower. So the original one needs to be repaired and painted.

Never thought that there are different versions ?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I had a very similar issue wth a horn cover, too narrow to fit the holes in the legshields by about 6mm and too short by about 4mm. Both have Innocenti and the part number cast into them but only the genuine Italian one - the one that fits- has an additional casting mark 'P1477' and the FP mark.

I can only surmise that SIL changed the casting for their later rounder shaped legshield.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Villmark

Checked the horn casts - both have P1477 and FP mark. Very strange. Will measure the horncast of my DL150 from 69. Maybe a difference from early to late DLs :?: :?:
Chris Tindal
Main scooter: GP150

Villmark, I think its just the poorer quality of Indian horncasts. They look like the same casting but haven't been opened out to match the legshield holes, so are therefore misshaped. That's my view anyway, and I abandoned a new one and got my original drilled and tapped by a local engineer, glad I did now. I guess with some heat and patience they could be made to fit. Rosscla I actually disagree with the later rounder legshield thing, I think both profiles types could be found with Italian machines.
rosscla

It's usually held that the the squarer type are Italian and the rounder type Indian.

I guess it is possible that the Italians designed and made the presses for both types and only the rounder type made it to the SIL.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Chris Tindal

I only say that because back in the early 80's I had two GP's, both original factory spec, a 200, then a 150. The 200 had the curved legshields and the 150 had the square type. Before I bought the 150 I actually thought it was an SX with GP headset and panels etc. because I was used to the curvy ones on the 200.
rosscla

It would be nice to confirm and correct that common received wisdom.

Do you have any pics?

We should stop hijacking Villmarks thread and maybe take it to the anorak corner in the Other place ;)
Chris Tindal

I think I have a pic of me sat on my old electronic somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and get it scanned.

Yes sorry Villmark! Hope you get the horncast sorted :D
Villmark

Got the original horncast repaired and painted. Rebuild continues very slowly `cos I am quite busy at the moment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information