my first ever scooter build. cagiva mito 125 engine

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
gavi4t
Main scooter: lambretta gp450

I was going to buy one of those until one came in for paint and saw how much filler was in em ,not a viable option ,mine isn't a toolbox welded onto a pair of leggies,i tried that and it was way too heavy for legshields to carry when it was full ,I cut leggies and fabbed up a square tank and welded that to old leggies then covered it with a p range fibreglass cover I made ,tank holds 11 litres and is hung on the top and huge bolts at the bottom with rubber gaskets between ,one thing I wish id done is weld baffles in because when your riding it makes a droney noise lol ill take some pics and post them tony :)
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

yeah cool thanks, be good to see what youve done, I didnt realise just how heavy it would be when full, think I will try and keep it about half full unless going on a long run, must be tipping 17kg when full

it has the top mounts, then theres identical mounts at the bottom, but I have also added mounts at the sides halfway up.

these will go through the legshields and Im using nice sized countersunk washers, anodised red ones of course LOL, help to spread the load and hopefully it all be ok

the comment about baffles is interesting, I hadnt thought about that, someting to think about for the winter rebuild.. if I still have it

3 guys already made me offers on it, 1 of them has 1st refusal and I dont doubt for one moment that hes genuine.

however I really want to get out and enjoy this, would love to enter it in a show, not going to win but be great to get feedback from people as to what they think, Newquay will be its first show and the first time I have ever put something into a show.
everything I have ever built has won prizes at shows or been magazine featured, but never while I have owned them, always get tempted by money and the prospect of another build.
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
tonydevon

well....
powdercoat was erm, how do I put this politely and not offend the swear filter.... LOL

dont think they washed it or even blew it down after blasting as theres grit in the coating over most of the legshields

despite toe tagging and making it perfectly clear, one of the parts is the wrong colour, ironically its the best coated part!!

the black parts, ie my swingarm and forks, looked ok, until I accidently splashed some thinners in the garage and some went on it, and the powder dissolved immediately and left holes through to the steel.

anyway, Im carrying on with it, just very dissapointed and now feel sad that instead of it being a scooter that maybe people would say, hey did you see that bike engined build in the car park, it will be the one with god awful paintjob

Tony at fibreglassthings has come to my partial rescue, the guys a legend, I was looking for a new pair of sidepanels, he had a pair from his own personal scooter and did me a good deal on them, over weekend he rang to tell me he went to pack them but they been damaged, I was about to cry and give it all up when he says no worry, I gelled the mould and laying up a new pair for you same price, very small world as I used to be a fibreglass laminator and pattern fabricator on a farm next to where he is now.

hes a great bloke and so nice to hear that Essex accent on the phone, I been away too long might have to go home for a bit.

so I have been doing bits with it and heres a few pics of where its at now, the headset top will be getting sprayed red to break up the white.

rear grill, sandblasted, then sprayed with PJ1 exhaust paint, and baked :)

underseat view, spent time shimming the rubbers on the underside of the seat so that you have to push it down a bit to get the latch to click, that way its rock solid, no movement, and no rattling about if its sat running.

chain adjuster plate etc, I made the bits to go in the box section from round alloy bar, bored and reamed to suit 15mm axle, then drill and tapped into the side, fitted threaded rod to provide adjustment, 2 bits of alloy flat, cut to size on flat bed saw, then put a lip round it also on the saw LOL, so that they locate and sit into the box section

engine on its arm, loads still to go on it, but getting close to being bolted back into the frame, just want to try and get as much as possible done while its out and up on the bench, rather than scrabbling about the floor
rear engine bolt will be replaced, just waiting for more stock to make a new bolt from
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Tony great build shame about coating problem can you get your money back
Lambretta500
Main scooter: Lambretta RG500

Looks great Tony I like the brake and clutch set up where did the rear shock come from ?
tonydevon

R1 shock, just bought a 180lb 7" 2.25 spring from JJC race and rally, £22.22 delivered and jobs a goodun :)

I had one on my GP and loved the feel so I thought it made sense to use what I know works

trawled Ebay and just kept waiting, eventually landed on my feet with a shock listed simply as yamaha suspesnsion, was collection only, and 15 miles from my house, £5 collected job done :) then it sat for about a year in the box waiting for something to be fitted to LOL
simonwwfc

Great work
tonydevon

Couple of bolts to be swapped out and just got to knock up the spacers for the shocks.

Have now realised that brake mount looks bit chunky. Will run a holesaw thru it next time its apart to just break up the side of it visually.
TED CRUD

Looking Good :D
Smash Ya Pastie
Washington Posse s.c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBpNEjkuLY
tonydevon

Started the rebuild. Tweaking and changing things again. Routing of coolant hoses tweaked a bit to look better.
Its up on wheels again. Thats a huge milestone for me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information